Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Bird Brains

I wouldn't be a New Yorker if I didn't chime in on this retarded Central Park West hawk fiasco.

Clyde Haberman did a decent job in yesterday's NY Times pointing out how these Audobon Society nuts will mobilize immediately to defend a pair of birds, but wouldn't think to protest the eviction of a homeless person.

But I'll take it further. Nature-lovers are always quick to decry how humans treat nature. And for the most part, they are right that we are destroying our natural resources and endangering species. We live on an island made almost entirely of cement and steel. But you know what? Everything is natural. Because we're a part of nature.

Yes, we should be cautious of the consequences of our actions. But fuck. If I paid millions to live on 5th Avenue and the park, I deserve to walk out of my building without seeing the corpses of half-eaten rats dropped by some nature-lover's bird friend.

A hawk is a pretty resourceful bird. They'll find someplace else to go. It's only natural.

No comments: