Wednesday, December 20, 2006

In the News

By TPerl

Two quick items to talk about:

1) As I'm watching the 11 o'clock news last night, one of the lead stories was the WTC rebuilding story - Actually, it was a side story that got me. Apparently, another bone fragment was found on the site, and the on-site reporter quips: "And some are wondering now if the priority should really be rebuilding" - at which point I shouted out "YES!!!" at the TV screen.

Of course the priority should be rebuilding. It should have been the priority for the last 5 fucking years! Not to sound insensitive to the victims' families, but do you really need a bone fragment to honor their memory, or to "get closure"? If you haven't been able to move on at this point, I don't think a bone fragment is gonna do it - how 'bout some counseling and a prescription for anti-depressants, perhaps?

Look - if you're husband left for work on 9/11/01 in NYC and never came home, do you really need a piece of DNA to confirm what happened? And if the bastard used 9/11 as an alibi to run off to Mexico with that whore in Accounting, maybe you're better off believing he's dead.

2) Stephen Mara, son of Wellington, tackled and choked a fellow NYSE broker (who also happens to be an Eagle fan) after the guy taunted him with that "jump shot" dance that our defense does after a big play.

As Giant fan, all I can say is "Cool! Fucking asshole deserved it". You gotta love a ba-zillionaire owner who can still get that fired up over their team, instead of just treating it like another investment in their portfolio.

And it's nice to see someone on the Giants make a sure tackle these days.

4 comments:

D. Bones said...

My thoughts on the WTC Families for Proper Burial can be found here: http://rollingbones.blogspot.com/2005/08/into-fire.html

We can be sensitive and realistic at the same time. Though, when I wrote this, they hadn't discovered all the significantly sized bone fragments. It does seem a shame there hasn't been a complete search of all the buildings and the holes under the site after all this time. And though I have no right to insist, I agree it would be better to move on.

And if you can't take a taunt about your rapidly collapsing football team and their tired celebration gimick, then maybe you should buy a figure skating team instead. Or take the lead from your quarterback and greet each failure with the body language and mopey facial pout of a true loser.

TPerl said...

Yeah - you said it very well back then. I just re-read it, and it seems that little has changed, even on the very day that they're actually putting the first beam into the ground. I find it sad that people still choose to look back instead of forward. If there ever was a good excuse to want to turn the corner, yesterday was the day.

Not sure I know what a "figure skating team" is, or was that another one of your hilarious metaphorical jabs at the NY Rangers (and yes, I know I mentioned the Rangers again - do I have to name all the players wives names or something this time? Resist the urge, Bones. Be strong. I know you can do it.)

Anyway, it seems like this guy might even snap if someone taunted him about his kid's little league team. Still, I'd rather have a passionate owner like this as opposed to some guy who doesn't care is all I'm sayin.

Anonymous said...

Perl, while it may have been nice for you to see a Giant finally make a tackle this year, it's also fun for the rest of us to watch yet another Giant choke this year...

Boy am I happy that little pansy QB pulled that crap in the draft 3 years ago. I can't imagine rooting for that 2-year old running my offense... Seriously, when you stop and consider that he kicked and screamed his way out of a chance to play in a laid-back town with LT at his disposal - well, he's obviously an idiot to boot.

Maybe his Daddy can step in again and ask the Redskins to take it easy on him this Saturday.

Let's go Charge!!!

TPerl said...

Timbo - I think a lot of people (Giant fans included) share your view at this point. The guy looks lost out there.

Watching the inevitable Giant chokes year after year for so long now (with respect to the Jets fans of course, who have suffered longer and worse) is one of the main reasons I never draft Giants in my fantasy league - there's absolutely no consistency.