Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Happy New Year


By TPerl

It's the Jewish New Year, in case you didn't know. And TPerl is (supposedly) Jewish, in case you didn't know.
Just how Jewish is he? I'll let you be the judge. Here's a rundown on the activities of some of my family:
- I am working today
- My brother is not working today, but not attending synagogue either
- My Dad has the day off and is going to Atlantic City

If the Jews gave out membership cards, I'm assuming mine would've been revoked years ago.

On an unrelated note, is it me or is this blog circling the drain at this point? I blame Facebook.

2 comments:

arielle said...

I'm not sure what I blame, but Bones keeps mentioning retiring the blog. Though I worry its 401K has taken too big of a hit.

I worked yesterday too, continuing a long tradition of ignoring the Jewish new year (except for one year in middle school, when I convinced my mom I had suddenly developed a deep sense of faith and she let me skip school. She is still shocked that I was faking).

Maybe it's just my bad Judaism, but I've never understood what you are supposed to do on Rosh Hashana that actually requires missing a day of work. Or, for that matter, not going to Atlantic City. It's not like we spend January 1 in any kind of devout way. I get that there's a religious meaning for the next high holy day, but the new year thing never made much sense to me.

(Which is probably just another way of saying someone's gonna come revoke my Jew card too.)

TPerl said...

I didn't get your 401k joke right away, but it's very timely and clever.

I say that we countdown to sundown every year on Rosh Hashana and pop a bottle of Manischewitz to celebrate. And if we can get Carson Daly to stand in Times Square while noshing on a bagel, then we'll really have something.