Monday, January 29, 2007

Bear Down, Chicago Cubs?



By Arielle

One week til Super Bowl Sunday, and I am totally torn.

As a displaced Chicagoan, it is probably my patriotic duty to root for Da Bears. Even though I've been coerced into being a Jets fan, I should still root for the home team. Right? But consider this:

1. Rex Grossman. In just one week and 10 hours of annoying hype and repetitive commericals, all of this guy's incompetence, interceptions and "not giving it 100 percent" could be washed away with a Super Bowl win. Is that possibly fair? Dumb luck hasn't hit anyone so undeserving since Paris Hilton was born into money.

2. Brian Urlacher makes me think of a member of the Hitler Youth. I know it's wrong to say this, but I can't help it. Dude needs some hair.

3. Tank Johnson. I'm no gun-safety expert, but it seems like if you've been arrested twice already, perhaps it'd be a good idea to get rid of your assault rifle collection. (On the other hand, since his bodyguard was killed the next day, maybe Tank was onto something.)

4. The NFC doesn't deserve a Super Bowl this year.

5. As a Cubs fan, I would be kind of sad to see the other major sports teams in town win championships while we're on the doorstep of 100 years.

On the other hand...

1. How could I root for Indianapolis, of all places, over my beloved Chicago? I mean, is it even possible?

2. How can you root against a guy named Lovie?

3. The Peyton Manning storyline has finally advanced ("guy who can't get to the Super Bowl" will become, at the very least, "guy who can't win the Super Bowl") so what's wrong with a few more years of it?

4. I do get a little choked up when I hear the Bears fight song. Come on, admit it's endearing: "We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation/With your T formation...You're the pride and joy of Illinois." If not also mildly embarrassing. And let's not forget the Super Bowl Shuffle...

5. As much as I dislike the guy, I am sort of jealous of Tank Johnson's nickname. Admit it - there are few things cooler than getting the name Tank Johnson on the back of your uniform. I am hoping that someday people will nickname me "Tank" as well.

I can't believe I'm giving this much thought to a bunch of overweight guys running around in spandex pants.

I think I've decided to root for the Bears, but I just can't feel it. Head's in it, heart's not. Or maybe it's the way around. But either way, I'll leave it up to you, dear reader(s?), to please weigh in: who's my pick?

At this point, the only thing I know I'll be rooting for is for no Jessica Simpson commericals this year.

3 comments:

TPerl said...

What happened to your comments that were here the other day?

Strange.

D. Bones said...

A protective girlfriend thought they could lead to unecessary trouble if viewed by employers/prospective employers.

And I couldn't edit them, so I republished the post without them.

But my rooting interest remains Tony Dungy and Peyton. It can only make Eli into a bigger headcase.

arielle said...

Yeah, sorry Perl, I get a little protective sometimes.

I'm rooting for Rex to sustain an embarrassing groin injury during some pregame activities and be replaced by Griese and/or Orton, who then lead the team to victory. Or maybe for Tank Johnson to eat Rex, thus eliminating them both from the game. Or do you think Lovie would still let Tank play?

Either that, or throwing it all to hell and rooting for Tony Dungy and his overexposed QB anyway.