Monday, December 15, 2008

Paleolithic Pricks

Ever since the letters DVR marched so triumphantly into my life, TV commercials have become something of a distant stranger.

And while this might spell disaster for networks in much the same way the internet and a tanking economy has been speed-typing the obituary of newspapers, I'm enjoying this golden era, when "The Office" runs right into "30 Rock" in a tight 44 minutes without stopping to hear about some failing car company's new 0.0% financing plan with nothing due at signing (which until last year I had always heard as "do-it signing," which, considering it's a meaningless phrase, left me quite confused).

Anyway. For the most part, I still watch football live. So it caught me a little by surprise when, in the midst of watching the Jets prove just how crappy a team they are, I ran, once again, into this asshole:



Didn't this offensively overplayed, moronic ad campaign beget a still-born, offensively moronic ABC sitcom America embraced about as gladly as a festive case of herpes? Hasn't the country voted for change? What's it going to take to end this monstrosity?

I just can't believe it's in an insurance company's best interest to inflict unending pain upon potential customers. But then these are the same people who find boundless delight in the cavorting of cockney gecko.

I'm reminded of the seemingly decades-long Energizer bunny campaign, which was only briefly interrupted by the battery company's criminal decision to inflict upon America the barking madness of Ausie rules footballer "Jacko." And yeah, I think he got his own sitcom, too.

3 comments:

TPerl said...

The weird thing is that they're using BOTH the caveman and the gecko - why can't they just choose one mascot?

I'm surprised you remembered that austrailian guy - I thought I was the only one: "It'll surprise ya. NEW Energiza!"

D. Bones said...

I occasionally still have Jacko nightmares. OI!

Anonymous said...

If I'm ever shopping for insurance, if two prices are equal, or close enough,.....there's no doubt in my mind I would pick the non-GEICO company just based on spite.

- chief