Tuesday, August 14, 2007

He's out! No wait - Safe!


By TPerl

RIP Phil Rizzuto, who died today at age 89. I definitely took for granted how great it was listening to Scooter in the broadcast booth - reading all those birthdays, talking about cannolis, and never shy about how anxious he was to leave early so he can beat the traffic over the GWB.

There was a great series of clips that WPIX ran as a tribute during Scooter's last year in the booth - I wish I could find it. But the best I could find was 3 different links here - click on each of the 3 "Rizzuto's Memorable Broadcasts..." links - great stuff.

3 comments:

D. Bones said...

Stop right there! I gotta know right now. Before we go any further, do you love me? Will you love me forever, do you need me? Will you never leave me? Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life? Will you take me away? Will you make me a wife? I gotta know right now. Before we go any further, do you love me? Will you love me forever?

KHBirdman said...

Hats Off To West Orange, NJ ! Now officially knows as the place where Phil Risutto (can't spell) died ! Maybe this will erase the memories that Ian Ziering grew up here !

TPerl said...

"Here's the throw. Here's the play at the plate. Holy Cow I think he's gonna make it..."

I read today that his birthyear is widely mis-reported as 1917 - it's actually 1916 (he lied in his first contract negotiation to appear younger). So Scooter was actually 90.

Although I only know him as a broadcaster, my Dad saw him play with all those great Yankee teams. And his favorite quote about Rizzuto was from Ted Williams who said that if the Sox had Rizzuto they would have won all those World Series instead of the Yanks.