Thursday, June 07, 2007

Great Scotts



My second all-time favorite hockey player may have just out-shined the first.
After winning three Stanley Cups with Scott Stevens in New Jersey, Scott Niedermeyer has now led an entire Anaheim team and coaching staff to their first ever championship -- capping it off with the Conn Smythe trophy as MVP of the playoffs. Along with his Norris Trophy as the league's best defenseman in 2004, his resume begins to rival Stevens (who it goes without saying is the most deserving player never to win a Norris).
And can anyone grow a more grizzled playoff beard?
Watching him pass the Stanley Cup to his brother last night might have been one of the greatest things to happen in Southern California since they opened Disneyland and jailed Paris Hilton.
Of course if the ratings of Saturday's game on NBC are any indication (the lowest prime time rating in the network's history), no one was watching.

8 comments:

KHBirdman said...

The only shame of it was that Scott didnt' stay in NJ and recruit Rob to come here instead to win that cup !

TPerl said...

I'm sure Ottawa had great ratings, even at the end.

I just don't think hockey in June is something that translates well in southern California. Although I guess you could say the same in October through May.

And don't forget, LA lost not one, but two FOOTBALL teams. You think anyone over there really gives a shit about a bunch of hairy Canadians skating around on a frozen man-made pond?

And by the way, when did they get rid of the "Mighty"?

Anonymous said...

hey, kudos to them for at least airing the sport at (get this) a time i could actually watch it. What a revolutionary idea!

unlike those nba clowns who think a 9:20 ET tip-off time works best for everybody - even on Sunday's for crying out loud.

And to that end, I'm really tired of hearing David Stern referred to as a savvy business executive. I think the guy is a f*#king moron, an arrogant one at that, who really does a piss-poor job of being a commissioner in several areas, namely coordinating the tip-off times with the networks. Or is the entire eastern seaboard's complaints nothing more than annoying "palaver". Huh? Big guy, with your big words? Huh? What's that? I can't hear you tough guy. Loser.

chief

TPerl said...

You sound like Phil Mushnick in the NY Post.

The only way I could see giving any credit to David Stern is if he impregnated the women who gave birth to Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan.

D. Bones said...

Yes, Perl. Imagine the talent of the child born to David Stern and Deloris Jordan. That kid would be awesome!

And I am very proud to say I haven't watched an entire NBA game since the last time the Nets got swept out of the finals (one year after they got swept out of the finals, if I remember correctly).

TPerl said...

Yes, Bones. I guess my comment wasn't exactly clear. Good work exploiting that.

I guess I should have just said that if not for Air Jordan, the NBA would never have reached the popularity that it enjoyed in the 80s and 90s (with or without Stern).

At least I now know Mrs. Stern's first name!

D. Bones said...

Mrs. Jordan, not Stern. I you high?

TPerl said...

Sorry. Mama Jordan, that is.