Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Ebert's Thumb Up Your Ass

I've been reading Roger Ebert's column in the Chicago Sun Tribune for years. I figure he's the one movie critic with whom I agree the most--maybe 90% of the time.

But he's more than a thumb pointing up or down. The guy can write. He knows how to take different approaches to reviewing different kinds of movies. He muses about plot logic, character quirks and physics. He can describe a subtle performance with evocative language. He can be damn funny. And even though Hollywood recycles ideas wholesale, he seldom repeats himself. Seldom is he better than when the move just blows. To wit:

The worst movies Roger Ebert has ever seen.

3 comments:

KHBirdman said...

Good list by Ebert but I have to question him putting on "Flashdance" and "The Usual Suspects". But, he missed a both of other horrible movies that I don't have time to even get into right now.

KHBirdman said...

Good list by Ebert but I have to question him putting on "Flashdance" and "The Usual Suspects". But, he missed a both of other horrible movies that I don't have time to even get into right now.

Anonymous said...

I still don't get people's problem with The Usual Suspects. It's never been sufficiently explained to me why people think the movie doesn't work. I think it does. And I'm ready to argue point-counterpoint with anybody.

- Chief